Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sorry But I have to...Chocolate Chip Cookies (with a secret)

It seems you can't be a food writer/blogger without a solid chocolate chip cookie post.  All things aside, I will never be one to give into peer pressure but it just so happens that I love cookies and finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe one of the first goals I had when I began my culinary quest.

Now the "perfect" chocolate chip cookie will be different for everyone.  Some prefer crispy while others chewy, some prefer flat while others thick, and some prefer small cookies while others prefer large (if not HUGE).  So to begin I would like to explain to you exactly what my perfect chocolate chip cookie is because that is also exactly what this recipe will produce.

My perfect chocolate chip cookie is medium thick, chewy with a slight crumb (explained below), large, and it has an equal dough-to-chocolate ratio.  I am not one for overloaded chocolate chip cookies as I really love the taste of the cookie portion itself.  It is the delicate balance between the sweet vanilla-caramel flavor of the dough and the creamy smooth and rich chocolate that I find so appealing about these cookies.  If you're going to overload them with chocolate chips than just bake a chocolate cookie and be done with it I say!

So there you have it.  This is my cookie.  I do have to note however that in order to obtain the perfect texture of "chewy with a slight crumb" you must employ the use of a forbidden ingredient (or at least it is forbidden to some), and that is shortening (run for the hills!!!). 

A quick note:  I am not concerned with using shortening, or for that matter, any ingredient in my cooking (this goes for corn syrup as-well).  Sometimes these ingredients are essential to obtain the perfect textures and flavors I am looking for, and in these cases, I will use them.  I will do my best to avoid using these ingredients, but if necessary, they will be used (but I will be sure to note that the preface to the recipe).  "Everything in moderation" they always say.

Back to the recipe and the reason for the shortening.  The shortening is needed in the recipe because unlike butter, shortening melts at a much higher temperature and does not contain water. What this means is that the cookies will be thicker because they will have the chance to set before all of the fat melts and they will have a bit more of a crumb because there is more fat solids to get in between the flour grains which will prevent the development of gluten.  Lastly, the reduction of water helps to keep the cookie more uniform and dense because there is not as much water evaporating out of the cookie during cooking which often leads to cracking and an airy cookie.  That said, shortening tastes like...well nothing for the most part (but this does allow for the vanilla to shine) so we need to add butter to give us that rich flavor we all crave.  That and, as stated above, I do like a mostly chewy cookie, so the butter will help in that regard as-well.

The sugar in the recipe is an equal split between white and brown.  Brown provides the "chew" and a nice caramel background flavor from the molasses.  The white sugar mellows the brown just enough so that you can taste the vanilla in the dough and obviously doesn't contain molasses so it helps to prevent the cookies from spreading too much.  The rest of the ingredients are fairly common aside from just a little vinegar which is only there to brighten the flavors while not being detectable to the tounge as a component to the cookie.

There is a secret ingredient that I like to add.  Feel free to leave it out for the basic cookie but I do hope you try it out and see if it is to your liking.  It adds a little something that elevates these cookies above the normal chocolate chip cookie.  I'll let you look over the ingredients list and see if you can tell me what it is.

So, without further ado, my perfect chocolate chip cookie.

Note:  The recipe does call for the dough to rest for 24-hours in the fridge.  I do not believe, as most do, that this adds too much to the flavor of the cookie but it does allow the flour to absorb some of the fat/liquid and provides for an amazing texture once baked.

GWC Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup light brown sugar. packed
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar (white)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of malted milk powder
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1.) In a large side bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and malt powder (if using).  Mix evenly and set aside.
2.) In your mixing bowl add the butter, shortening, and sugars and mix until smooth.
3.) Add the eggs to the fat and sugar and mix until evenly combined.
4.) Add the vinegar and vanilla and mix until evenly incorporated.
5.) Add in the flour mixture and beat until combined and no flour particles remain.  Then beat on high for 30 seconds more.
6.) Wrap dough in cling wrap (aka. saran wrap) and place in refrigerator for 24-36 hours.
7.) 15 minutes before you are ready to bake preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
8.) Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or better yet, a silpat baking sheet
9.) Scope 3 tablespoon to 1/4 cup sized balls onto the prepared baking sheet and place in oven to bake for 10-14 minutes depending on your preferred doneness.   Check every minute after the 10 minute mark if you decide to cook longer as they will go from perfect to overdone very quickly.
10.) Enjoy!

Final Note:  If you happen to try the recipe and treat yourself to these some of these bad boys please do let me know what you think. I always appreciate the comments!

13 comments:

  1. I would agree...sometimes shortening is just needed. Malted milk powder, huh? Interesting. I've got plans for another recipe this weekend, but this has piqued my interest.
    Best,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone seems to have a secret chocolate chip cookie ingredient, but I've never heard of using malted milk powder. That sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the shortening thing- I don't really concern myself with worrying about fat. Moderation is the key, like you said. Plus, I usually just send it off to work with my hubby! These cookies look great! I love a good CCC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought the secret ingredient was the vinegar. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on Tastespotting and your cookies look awesome! I've never used shortening in a cookie before. Sounds interesting. I love your explanation of the ingredients as well! I thought the secret ingredient was vinegar as well! haha. Well, malted milk powder sounds really good in a cookie though!! lol.
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK so these look CRAZY GOOD! Thanks for the tutorial on all things cookie.... I will be making these WITH the shortening as i need to try what i am looking at. My mouth is literally watering! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made these. The dough was beautiful. The taste even better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tess I am glad you enjoyed them and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Also, to all who have mentioned the vinegar as a potential secret ingredient (as-well as the malt powder) I would tend to agree now looking in hindsight. Not too many recipes include this as an ingredient and though it doesn't in and of itself provide any "secret" flavor profile, it definitely enhances those flavors already present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will give these a try. I;m not opposed to shortening either..anything to make the perfect cookie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still frown upon shortening but i'd eat a choc chip cookie anytime! my idea of a perfect CCC is one that's chewy and only chewy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dare you to try it my way Hannah. :D

    Also, I actually think the somewhat "cakey" texture provided by the shortening gives it more chew than a CCC with all butter. How does a "cakey" texture give more chew you ask?

    Think about a sponge "cake". It's very chewy wouldn't you say? First, as I noted above, the shortening makes the cookie denser/thicker than an all butter cookie. Second, the thicker/"cakey" quality doesn't give into your bite as easy as an all butter cookie(much like a cake the spongy soft quality is very palatable but doesn't go away easily - i.e. you need to "chew"! haha).

    I look forward to your response :D

    PS. if you want to mgnify the chewy factor in any cookie you can add a tablespoon of cornsyrup (and increase the flour by 1 tablespoon as-well). I know there goes another "forbidden ingredient" but hey...it does the job better than anything else and who doesn't like to walk on the wild side every once and a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry i took so long to respond. it's funny that i had to read what you said at least twice cos at first i was like, HUH? but thanks for the enlightenment. HAHA. i will definitely try corn syrup some day...though i won't know when. hee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They looked tasty in the pic and since I've never used vinegar or malted milk powder in a cookie before I was intrigued and gave it a try. I was hoping to find a recipe using more eggs since I currently have 30 duck eggs in the fridge. Mine turned out nothing like the picture (most likely the duck egg that did that), but still taste pretty good. Don't really taste the malted milk powder though.

    ReplyDelete